Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankful for Thanksgiving

I know my faithful blog readers are expecting a "Top 10 Things I Am Thankful For" list, or poignant reminiscenses of Thanksgivings past (as an aside, I realize it is presumptuous to assume I can achieve "poignancy on demand"). I'll do my best.......after a brief comment about why I am thankful for Thanksgiving.

It's because it encourages everybody to be mindful of thankfulness. The thought is "what am I thankful for?". It points us in the right direction. It tells us where to look. Even if the first thought is "I'm thankful I'm not........dead? in Afghanistan? Bill Buckner?", you know that you can think again. You can think about what you are thankful FOR. What other day, what other time, are we universally encouraged to be thankful? On a Thursday?

I never call it Turkey Day. If we had blackened redfish and spaghetti, and great desserts and coffee, (and had company, were mindful of thankfulness, and enjoyed some laughs) it would be just as good. So it's not turkey day, it's THANKSGIVING.....

Here's my top 10 things I am thankful for:

10. Trader Joe's in Forest Hills
9. Dovie
8. Living in NYC
7. Angioplasty with a stent
6. Relaxing times
5. Written expression
4. Forgiveness
3. Memories
2. Right here, right now
1. Rebecca, Emilie, Felicia


A brief reminiscense of Thanksgiving past.....We lived in an attached house with a narrow street in front. You could play touch football there, two on two or three on three....."five steps and cut behind the red car"...."fake square out bomb"...."three straight completions is a first down".... On Thanksgiving it was cold out, good for football in sweatshirts. Red in the face, blowing some smoke like the Green Bay Packers. Working up an appetite, no school tomorrow and tomorrow is only Friday. Five touchdowns wins. Somebody wins, it doesn't take that long, it doesn't matter who won. It doesn't seem cold out at all, it's just right. Back in the house EVERYBODY is there. It is so WARM.



Happy Thanksgiving to all.

No comments: