Sunday, January 18, 2009

More Pearls (and Perils) of Per Diem

By popular demand....here are a few more....

Treat your per-diem appearances as if you were appearing on your own case. If that means you care more about the case than the attorney who sent you, so be it.

If there is a major problem with a case, and you think the attorneys who sent you don't know it, tell them. I'd want someone to tell ME!

Sometimes attorneys want to do per-diem work and be part of your "crew". Not everybody can multi-task their appearances and maintain quality. Not everybody is ready to adhere to the per-diem "code of honor". OK, there isn't an actual code, but the thing is, not everybody is trustworthy. My approach is, I'll try out a new person, carefully, and they have to earn trust. If they don't understand this, I don't trust them.

If something screwy starts to happen on a per diem assignment, especially if you are appearing for an attorney the first time, DOCUMENT what is happening. I've had offices "abandon me" during an appearance (by not responding to calls from court, or not having anyone in authority in their office). It doesn't happen often, but I've had it happen. My approach on these is to "protect the client" (as opposed to the lawyer), and next "protect myself". I document the problem with an eye towards protecting myself in the event things really blow up. I know, sometimes all this extra work is not worth the $100 you might get paid (cuz these bad guys will stiff you too), but you have to do the extra work and protect yourself. These are "perils" of per-diem.

Pay attention to collections!!! It does you no good to bill $100K and only collect $60K. This is especially bad when you have subbed out some of your work (and paid your crew). Most lawyers pay their per diems, but it only takes a few big stiffers to really hurt you. Here are a few tips:

1. Set balance limits for open credit and stick to them. I use $500 with new attorney clients. If they are beyond 30 days and $500, I CALL. This is very important. If they act like weasels about it, cut them off.

2. Related to #1 is, set yourself up to accept credit cards. If an attorney reaches $500 and more than 30 days, and they won't pay by credit card, cut them off.

3. Beware of high volume clients who don't pay ALL the bills. I hate when this happens and it happens with some regularity. Sometimes it's innocent, and it happens because if your bill is also your report, it may go in the file and not to the check writer. The way to curb this is to send statements which are a compilation of the open bills. When I receive a payment for invoices that are later than some open invoices, I address this immediately.

4. Beware of round figure payments "on account". This can be innocent enough, but it causes confusion. When this happens, send a memo indicating what invoices you applied the payment to, and confirming the open balance. In this memo you should ask that payments refer to specific invoices.

5. Share information with your competitors about the bad payers out there. This is more difficult than it seems. I only want to give this useful information if I am getting useful information. What do the non-paying vermin do when we share information about them? We usually see them coming to court themselves, which I always find gratifying, or they go lower in the food chain and rip off some new per diem.

6. Speaking of non-paying vermin, if some lawyer doesn't pay me, and won't work with me, or make a credit card payment, I sue in Small Claims Court. Sometimes these lawyers play games when I do this, but I persist. Recently, after some jokers adjourned my Small Claims case 3 times by asking for a hearing "by the Court", they missed an appearance and I got a default judgment. I sent them a letter and they didn't pay. So, what I did was, I paid a City Marshal $40 to serve a notice at their office (probably served on a secretary) saying that he was going to seize their furniture and computers and auction it off. Two days later I got paid in full with interest. They'll never call me again, which is just an added bonus.

Gosh I love this business!!!

No comments: