Sunday, January 13, 2008

Talkin' Presidential Politics

I'm undecided.



When things are as interesting as they are right now, I'm comfortable with my decision to decide later. I want to hear more. I want to think about it. At some point, I might even get staunchly behind a candidate.



The Democrats are pretty easy.....



Obama....blah blah blah, nice speeches, but seems like a lot of talk, and I can't see him actually getting the nomination, much less winning. He's a player on the scene, but not for all the marbles this year.



Hillary....found her voice by crying. I have serious doubts about her, BUT she has to be considered because she IS the likely nominee. This is one of the things that makes the Republican side so fascinating. Whoever they nominate will be running against Hillary.



Edwards....the press has dropped the ball on his story in both Iowa and New Hampshire. In Iowa, it should have been a huge story that he finished second and ahead of Hillary. But he got lost in the Obama glow. In New Hampshire he fared poorly, but that has not been a big story. Sometimes when you watch him speak, he's like a poor man's JFK....maybe that's the problem. He also strikes people as "trial lawyerly", and sometimes I enjoy that, but sometimes its downright offensive.



They'll joust it out, and I'll go on the limb (sorta) and state for the record.....Hillary



Now, on the other side, it's much harder. To all my solidly Democratic friends who will smugly reject all the Republicans and jump on the Hillary bandwagon.....be careful....smugness led us to 8 years of the worst President in modern times. Most Republican conservatives know this, though they won't say so. The thing is, ALL of the Republican contenders (Huckabee, Romney, McCain, Giuliani) are way more attractive candidates than GWB. They also have a certain status that only Hillary has on the other side...All of them are ELECTABLE. If that worries real Democrats, it should.



I have found 8 years of GWB embarrassing and offensive, but hey, our countrymen voted him in twice......yeah, I know, they "stole it" the first time, but how could it have even been that close? THAT is what died in the wool Democrats should have been asking.



As many of my blog readers know, I think immigration reform should be a major issue in the campaign. The Democrats barely talk about it.......Gutless.

When the Republicans debate, they play a "can you top this" of racist fear-mongering about immigration, talking about the "amnesty bill" that they proudly defeated. They talk about amnesty as if they have some other viable solution, like deporting 12 million people. Sometimes they attack John McCain, co-sponsor of the ill-fated legislation.

That one position, TRYING as a Senator to draft and pass a compromise immigration bill, that had CONDITIONAL amnesty provisions, is enough to warrant serious consideration of his candidacy.

Tomorrow.....Reconsidering McCain

No comments: