Thursday, August 23, 2012

Trip to Austin........Part 7 (finale)

After getting back from Luckenbach we chilled at the hotel for awhile.  We didn't want to travel too far for dinner, so we had our last Tex-Mex fix at a restaurant on 6th Street called the Iron Cactus.  Rooftop dining with nice views.....


It was a long day, we were pretty bushed, and we were going home the next morning.  Around midnight, Felicia asked "Is there anything that you wanted to do that we didn't do?"  I thought about this and said "Yeah. One more thing.  I want to go to The Horseshoe Lounge".  This is a dive bar in South Austin that is the subject of a Slaid Cleaves song.  Here's a nice version.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfmkGgqQhq0
There's a lot more going on in this song than a tribute to a bar.   At least, it seems that way to me.

Horseshoe Lounge (Lyrics)

Ricky got the quarters for the table and broke
While I pulled hard on the sorrow and smoke
Raising up my bottle I looked for a chance
As you set your glass down on the bar with a glance at me

Down at the Horseshoe Lounge
Shuffleboard and neon light
Down at the Horseshoe Lounge
Cigarettes and whiskey tonight

Ricky said 'She's out of your league, let her go'
As I watched you pick your partner on that old dance floor
I know it didn't work out the first time we tried
But I'd do anything to have you by my side again.

Down at the Horseshoe Lounge
Peel the label off a Miller light
Down at the Horseshoe Lounge
I sit here thinking 'bout you every night.

Were you the one who faltered
Was I the one who strayed
Maybe God left us out of the plans he made

So here's to missed beginnings and things that never start
For these are the ghosts that run around in my heart
When I see that where I'm going isn't where I want to be
I get the urge to look you up see if you would come and meet me

Down at the Horseshoe Lounge
Peel the label off a miller light
Down at the Horseshoe Lounge
I sit here thinking 'bout you every night.

Ricky got the quarters for the table and broke
While I pulled hard on the sorrow and smoke



So, we drove over to South Austin to the Horseshoe Lounge......



It's a dive bar.  It was busy but not packed.  Music on the jukebox and some people playing shuffleboard (like in the song).  They were pretty good at it too.



The bartender had a big horseshoe tattoo on his arm.  When he said "What'll it be?" I was ready......
"Two Miller Lights" (like in the song).  I suspect we were not the first people to come into the Horseshoe Lounge, order Miller Lights, and then sit at the bar and "peel the labels off a Miller Light" (like in the song).  And that's what we did as our final hurrah in Austin.




Watched shuffleboard players in the Horseshoe Lounge, peeling the labels off a Miller Light.

Just like I pictured it!

No comments: